Allergist near Crystal Lake, IL explains that avoidance is one of the best methods for treating allergies
At Advanced Allergy & Asthma Associates, our goal is for all of our patients to enjoy life without being bothered by persistent symptoms. Once we have identified allergies, we can begin the process of treating them through one of the three basic principles: avoidance, medication, or immunotherapy.
Avoidance is one of the best forms of allergy treatments, but can be tricky, depending on the allergen. Things like pollen, mold spores, and house dust are difficult to eliminate completely.
Pollens and molds are seasonal and vary greatly depending on weather and the time of the year. Some methods for reducing pollen exposure are:
- Close the windows during pollen season and on windy days.
- Avoid yard work during pollen season. If unavoidable, wear a pollen mask and shower and change clothes immediately afterward.
- Use saline eye drops to wash out your eyes, avoid rubbing them.
- Wash your face and hands after outdoor exposure.
Methods for reducing exposure to indoor mold include:
- Take care of any water leaks or damp areas.
- Clean and replace air filters regularly.
- Keep all surfaces in the bathroom dry and clean.
- Eliminate carpet in wet areas such as bathroom and laundry room.
- Keep windowsills dry.
Pets and animal dander are common allergens. You can become allergic to the skin, saliva and waste products from your pet. The following tips can help control common animal allergens if you can’t remove the pet from your home.
- Keep them out of the bedroom as much as possible.
- Wash and groom the pet frequently.
- Wash hands immediately after playing with your pet.
If you live near Crystal Lake, IL and would like to learn more tips for controlling exposure to common allergens, call us today at (847) 888-8802
Share this Article
Back to Allergy Treatment Page