Many people develop allergies to weather changes, specifically during seasonal changes. During spring, the symptoms of seasonal allergies start to increase around April to May. In July and August, they often subside, only to gear up again in the winter, around September to December. If you are interested in finding out if you are struggling with seasonal allergies, it is time to seek diagnosis and treatment with Advanced Allergy and Asthma Associates in Crystal Lake and Elgin, Illinois.
What symptoms might I experience with seasonal allergies?
Below are some of the most commonly reported symptoms of seasonal allergies:
- Congestion. With seasonal allergies, congestion can be experienced in the nose and chest. This is typically due to an increase in histamine, a compound released during allergic reactions that causes mucus membranes to swell
- Sneezing. Sneezing is a common symptom of seasonal allergies caused by foreign particles or allergens entering the body through your nostrils
- Itchy and watery eyes. Allergens can often cause the eyes to become itchy, watery, and red
- Coughing. Coughing is another common symptom caused by allergies as your body attempts to essentially protect itself from allergens in the air
- Headaches. Histamine released during allergic reactions dilates blood vessels which can cause headaches
- Rash. A rash may develop on the skin if your body comes in contact with a specific allergen
How can I address seasonal allergies?
If you experience any of the symptoms of seasonal allergies and find it difficult to manage them with over-the-counter allergy medication, it is time to talk to a professional about effective treatment options. First, seasonal allergy prevention can be achieved with allergy shots and even avoidance, if possible. Itchy skin relief may be addressed with topical itch-relief creams, either over-the-counter or prescription. We may also recommend certain medications stronger than those on the market, ensuring you improve your quality of life and get back to your day without interruption from allergies!
Connect with us today!
Call Advanced Allergy and Asthma Associates today at (847) 888-8802 to request an appointment at one of our two office locations in Crystal Lake and Elgin, IL.