Barrington patients ask, “When should I see a doctor for treatment of allergic disease?”
Allergies occur when your immune system has as reaction to something that is typically harmless like pollen, foods, dust mites, bug bites, etc. People who have allergies and encounter these allergens will experience a reaction from their immune system. The system will release a chemical (histamine) that causes typical allergy symptoms.
At Advanced Allergy & Asthma Associates, Dr. Noga Askenazi, Dr. Dipika Patel, and Dr. Eugenia Hahn diagnose and treat a variety of allergic diseases.
How do I know if I’ve had an allergic reaction?
- If the allergen stems from something you breathed in (like pollen), the reaction is most likely to affect your eyes, nose, or lungs.
- If the allergen is something you ate, it will probably affect your mouth and/or cause a rash on the skin. Food allergies are also known for causing asthma-like symptoms, atopic dermatitis (eczema), and symptoms in the stomach or intestines.
Most of us are well aware of the typical allergy symptoms like runny noses, itchy eyes, scratchy throat, but what you may not know is allergies can cause or worsen asthma and even trigger sinus infections. It is important to seek the care of professionals like the team at Advanced Allergy & Asthma Associates to identify the cause of your allergy and come up with an effective plan for treatment.
When should I schedule an appointment with an allergy doctor?
You should call us to schedule a consultation if you are experiencing one or more of the following:
- Your allergies are causing sinus infections or difficulty breathing
- Your congestion, cough, or asthma is severe enough to affect your ability to work, go to school, or sleep
- If over the counter antihistamines do not improve your symptoms
- Signs of asthma including a cough, wheezing, shortness of breath, or a tightening feeling in the chest
- A severe reaction to a bite or sting
- Allergy symptoms that last for months
At Advanced Allergy & Asthma /Food Allergy Center, we will work with you to determine and treat the underlying cause of your allergy and help you move forward with dramatic improvements in symptoms. If you are in the Barrington area and are currently suffering from allergies, call our office today to schedule a consultation.